SSM has been working in the field of agriculture since its inception. Along with Education, agricultural development is also anticipated in the rural communities. More than 70% people are dependent on agriculture. In order to strengthen them, SSM has initiated various projects so far. Currently, there are two major projects going on.
1.Krishi Vigyan Kendra 2. Maharashtra Gene bank
Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK): Considering SSM’s commendable work in encouraging the farming community for advanced mechanism in agriculture, ICAR New Delhi had sanctioned KVK (Agriculture Science Centre) in October 2011. The centre covers 8 blocks in Nanded District. The KVK has well qualified staff (Subject Matter Specialist) for all the departments, Horticulture, Agronomy, Plant Protection, Veterinary, Home Science and Agriculture Engineering.
- Conduct “On Farm Testing” for identifying technologies in terms of location specific sustainable land use systems.
- Organize front-line demonstrations on various crops and techniques to generate production data and feedback information.
- Organize training for the farmers to provide them theoretical and practical knowledge of improved agriculture technologies.
- Conduct In-service trainings are also conducted for extension functionaries.
Activities of KVK
- Dissemination of the recent technology through training, on farm testing and Front line demonstrations were done, particularly crop management, fruit and vegetable, livestock management, mechanization, empowerment of the women, drudgery reduction and nutrient management of the farming community.
- Use of mass media as mobile advisory services (SMS), radio talk, articles in news paper and magazines, TV shows, group discussion, Kisan mela, technology mahotsav, Mahila melava, farmer-scientist interaction, lectures delivered in the programmes organized by other agencies etc to reach wider area of the jurisdiction of KVK.
- KVK has developed good linkage with the agriculture universities, departments as agriculture, animal husbandry, ATMA, sericulture office, NABARD, and NGOs working for farming communities for joint organization of the activities in the district.
- KVK has started different demonstration units for training and demonstration to farmers for motivation and self reliance i.e., Goatery, poultry, polyhouse, shed-net for vegetable nursery, soybean processing unit.
- KVK has set crop cafeteria of the different varieties of field crops, vegetable and fodder crops released recently by agriculture universities in kharif and rabbi season.
- To make available the seed of the recent varieties to farmers, production of the foundation and truthful seed was undertaken. Near about 59 quintals of the seed of different crops and 5 lakh seedlings of the vegetables were produced.
- “Conservation of Red Kandhari cattle breed” through Artificial Insemination in collaboration with BAIF, Pune was started in 2014-15. Similarly, “Gir breed conservation” project to demonstrate the qualities of the milk purpose was also started.
The experienced Program Coordinator, all the six energetic Subject Matter Specialists, other technical and non-technical staff members are intensively working for sustainable development in agriculture sector.